Thursday, June 14, 2012

Yum!
January, February, March, April, May, June....fucking June?  I really do have zero follow-through don't I.  Perhaps someone should get me a smart phone that has an accessible and usable task list that I can access to remind myself to do things.

As I sit and watch Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" again with my two young children I am faced with a certain amount of trepidation of the future and the place of humans in it.  Since the release of "The Happening" (in all its melodramatic and unoriginal glory) as well as the winter that was not, I find that I think that the future may or may not be in jeopardy as we know it.

When that ridiculous guy said that we should expect insects to increase in size in the next 50 years and he forgot to think about the fact that insects breathe through spiracles in their skin, if they get bigger then their spiracles get bigger, meaning more susceptibility to toxins and diseases. Insects were never much larger or smaller than they are now.  

People will believe anything that you tell them if it is dark and  scary enough.  After all, 2% rise in sea level over the next 15 years is nowhere near as alarming as 500% increase in killer bee attacks over the same time period.  (By the way, one of those is actually true).  My point is this, we need to relax a little on the paranoia, unless it comes to Republican policy.  (I stand by the maggot in the taxidermist shop metaphor).

I once said that I thought both sides of the climate change argument were missing the real point and I stand by that.  I also think that people are focusing on the wrong things when they side with the locavore movement, anti-genetically modified food, and increased dietary diversity.  But, these are points that I will probably never get around to talking about.

I shudder to think that I am slowly becoming right in this weird time of 2012.

No comments: